Chuck and Barb Shipley are formerly of Richmond Hill, GA — just south of Savannah. Chuck retired June 30, 2005 from his position as professor and head of the Department of Computer Science at Armstrong Atlantic State University in Savannah, GA, where he had taught since 1972. Barb retired from her position as a manager of software development at Southern Company in January 2004. While waiting for Chuck to “get free”, she became a licensed captain and has a 50 ton master’s license.
They have sold their house and cars and are now living aboard their trawler and cruising where they will.
They had boated in the Savannah area for over 20 years and had owned a 42′ Krogen trawler for three years before upgrading to the 48′ Krogen North Sea trawler.
Chuck and Barb can be contacted at:
Chuck and Barb Shipley
411 Walnut Street #3216
Green Cove Springs, FL 32043
Chuck’s Published articles:
- “Post Holiday Thoughts Aboard a Krogen 48 North Sea”, Click here.
- “Becoming Cruisers, Step by Step”, Waypoints, Summer 2006 (Newsletter of Kadey-Krogen Yachts) Click here for PDF version
- “Trawlering to the Caribbean”, Blue Water Sailing, October 2007, pp. 86-91.
- “An Introduction to Stabilizers — Cruising on an Even Keel”, Blue Water Sailing, July 2008, pp. 70-73.
- “Cruising The Offshore Islands of Venezuela”, PassageMaker, July/August 2011, pp. 76-81.
- “Caribbean Reef Squid”, All At Sea, June 2012, pp. 40-42. Also available here
- “Blennies of Bonaire”, All At Sea, September 2012, pp. 8,26-29. Also available here
- “Marooned in the Grenadines”, Waypoints (Krogen Newsletter), Fall 2012, pp. 9-11. Also available here
- “Venezuela’s Macareo River Is a Gunkholer’s Paradise”, PassageMaker, July/August 2013, pp. 56-59.
- “Asa Wright Nature Centre – The Beautiful World of Caribbean Birds”, All At Sea, February 2014, pp. 52-54. Also available here
- “Leatherback Turtles on the Coast of Trinidad”, All At Sea, October 2014, pp. 68-71.
- “Razorfish of Bonaire”, All At Sea, May 2015, pp. 48-50, 52.
- “Colorful Shrimp of Bonaire”, All At Sea, March 2016, pp. 64-67.
- “Diving Adventures in the Caribbean”, PassageMaker, September, 2016, pp. 56-60.
- Pelican photos for “The Brown Pelican”, Article by Devi Sharp, All At Sea, Oct. 2008, p. 82.
- Brown Booby photo for “Why Is It Called a Booby?”, Article by Devi Sharp, All At Sea, Apr. 2009, p. 31.
- Carnival photo for “Critical Mas: Old-Time Carnival in Trinidad and Tobago”, Article by Jo-Anne Nina Sewlal, Caribbean Compass, Feb. 2009, p. 25
- Tropicbird photos for “Red-billed Tropicbirds”, Article by Devi Sharp, All At Sea, June, 2009, pp. 36-37.
- Royal tern photos for “Royalty in the Anchorage”, Article by Devi Sharp, All At Sea, Aug. 2009, pp. 8, 29.
- Laughing gull photos for “Laughing Tattletales in the Anchorage”, by Devi Sharp, All At Sea, Oct. 2009, pp. 28-29.
- Black Skimmer photos for “Black Barking Birds, Crepuscular Skimmers”, by Devi Sharp, All At Sea, Jan. 2010, pp. 8, 38.
- Photos of hikers for “Monkey Paws and Waterfalls”, Article by Devi Sharp, Caribbean Compass, March 2010, pp. 4, 28.
- Red-Footed Booby photos for “A Noisy Night in Las Aves”, Article by Devi Sharp, All At Sea, Oct. 2010, pp.42, 44.
- Bridled Tern photos for “One Good Tern Deserves Another”, Article by Devi Sharp, All At Sea, Dec. 2010, pp. 10, 44.
- Photo of Devi swimming w/ balloon on her back, “Letter of the Month”, Note by Devi Sharp, Caribbean Compass, Jan.2011, p.47.
- Brown Noddy photos for “A Niddle of Noddies”, Article by Devi Sharp, All At Sea, Feb. 2011, pp. 10, 42.
- Photo of Barb reading from her Kindle for “I Love my Kindle”, Article by Devi Sharp, All At Sea, Feb. 2011, p. 44.
- Five photos of “Carib Beer Great Race 2012” motorboat race, The Boca, Oct/Nov 2012, p. 12.
- Photo of yellowtail hamlet, used by Dr Ross Robertson, Staff Scientist, Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute, in an article on mimicry in reef fishes in the online scientific journal PLOS 1. The article can be read at http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0054939
- Two of the photos for “Staying Shipshape”, Article about exercise onboard by Devi Sharp, All At Sea,April 2013, pp. 26-29.
- Cover photo (of Tusen Takk II, taken at El Oculto, Venezuela) for Passage Maker magazine, Sept. 2014. Also, a photo of TT2 taken at La Tortuga Island, Venezuela, same issue, p. 76.